Wednesday, July 21, 2010

a word or two on loneliness

In the months that followed Michael's first seizure... I felt so alone.....If someone would have taken some time to feel my pain, grieve with me, it might have helped.... I say might have because in reality no one could have made Michael better ...I know its hard to witness another person in pain. It can be over whelming. You cant heal them or you don't have the power to change there life...but the bible says bear one an others burdens, mourn with those who mourn and weep with those who weep. The caring and the empathy matters....It matters allot... As I said it cant bring the healing one would want but knowing that someone cares softens and warms the cold hard places of loneliness and sorrow......My mother use to say "laugh and the world laughs with you, cry and you cry alone" unfortunately this can often be true.
I have always expected my friends and family to be understanding. Psychology and religion tells us that expectations are the no.1 problem in relating to one another. I think the point is that expectations usually set us up for disappointments. I guess if we can go into our expectations and not be shocked when people don't live up to them,maybe not having a high expectation will soften the fall?
I do know that a little compassion goes a long way......Letting someone know you see their pain and acknowledge their hardship can be very comforting.

No comments:

Post a Comment